Tuesday, September 24, 2013

It's Tube Time

'Ello!

I come from a small town in the US, and never use public transportation. (Unless the school bus counts). So I was a bit nervous for the Tube. I had heard the whole "Mind the Gap" thing a million times. But that's about it.

So, during orientation the leaders pretty much shuffled us around on the tube, and I didn't really pay attention. Hello, jet-lag. Either way, I only really figured out the tube when I was forced to do it myself on a scavenger hunt. The hunt was fun (We won! No big deal), and I got better at knowing how the tube worked and what direction I needed to go in.

But basically, don't worry about the tube! It'll just happen, and be fine. Also, there are so many people who don't know what they're doing either, so Londoners are used to it. Are they okay with it...maybe not.

Hints for Tube Life
~Don't stand on the left side. Stand to the right. People walk up or down on the left side. They will literally push you out of the way (so I've heard)
~Talking loudly on the tube is seen as VERY obnoxious. I mean, it sort of makes sense. All the tired business people coming home don't want to hear your nail polish drama, or something. Just be respectful.
~Don't stop in the middle of traffic...self explanatory
~Don't be afraid to ask for help! The officers there are great
~Offer your seat to elderly people, pregnant, mothers, and so forth. Especially if you're in priority seating.

The tube is great to get places, but don't forget about walking or buses! Buses are cheaper and 24/7. I admit, I have not yet tried them. I'll let you know when I do! But I am a huge fan of walking in the city. You really get to be out there, experiencing the culture first hand. The sights are everywhere, and it is nice to know how the city connects, instead of going stop to stop underground and not seeing it's magnitude.

Best of Luck,

Liv

No comments:

Post a Comment